Friday 6 March 2015

Deaf Storyline in Waterloo Road (aired 2012)

So, I have heard a few weeks ago that the TV drama Waterloo Road is coming to an end soon. I was just thinking about all of the storylines over the years and how much I've enjoyed them. But I am not going to be speaking about all of my favourite episodes in this post... it wouldn't seem relevant and might sound a tad BORING!

One of the storylines that I really enjoyed was aired back in 2012 (I think!) It was about a character called Imogen who us viewers soon found out was actually deaf. Back then when the storyline was aired I was very negative about my hearing and at that point I did not tell anyone about my deafness. It was actually this story line that was the turning point in my life. It was the first storyline that I have heard about, which featured a young person with a deafness like myself. I remember watching the TV and I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

It wasn't until the next day at school me and my friends were talking about it and we all couldn't believe it! (They knew about my hearing loss). It was also nice to know that lots of people in my school year also watched Waterloo Road, even the nasty people who took the mick. It made me feel a sense of normality.

Every week when Waterloo Road came on, I was so excited to see how the storyline developed. It was nice to see that her relationship with her new boyfriend blossomed since she told him.

It was a couple of years ago when this was aired and I know it is 3 years on, but I have come a long way since this storyline aired.
I did actually message the BBC a couple of years ago about this story line and wrote them a heartfelt message, but I never received a response. I hope they are aware of how much of a positive impact they have had on my self esteem and my life so far!

I know this post may sound ridiculous and yes, I am aware that Waterloo Road is just a school TV drama. It was just nice to see something that I could relate to, especially as a young girl in high school (at the time).

If you're curious and want to see the scene when the character 'comes out' about her deafness, click on the link below!



No comments:

Post a Comment