Sunday 1 March 2015

University Life - The Second Year


Ok, I will be honest.

It certainly has NOT been easy and I'm not afraid to say it. I knew it would not be easy and there would be many barriers that I would come across, I would just have to 'man up' and face them.
I remember the first day of University when everyone met each other (Induction day) I 'came out' with my hearing condition (I like to call it the "coming out" process - Ha-ha!). I promised myself to put myself forward and be open about my hearing condition and the fact that I wear hearing aids. It was a massive step for me, so I decided to walk in on the first day with my hair tied up in a ponytail.

Most people may think that I am making too much of a big deal about it, but I actually never wore my hair up in high school and sixth form- I felt ashamed and extremely vulnerable to bullying.
Anyway, it went much better than expected, I thought that it would make things easier for everyone and more importantly, myself, but it has not been as easy as that...

Here are a list of some of the problems I have faced, even in the second year:

- Playing radio programmes and constantly showing videos in lectures which do not have subtitles.
-Difficulty hearing in group and class discussions (assistive aids have not helped)

Negative points aside, there have been some good points whilst starting University. I am a lot more open about my hearing loss and I can finally be myself (I no longer have to keep this massive secret from people). This also may sound vain, but I am also pleased that I can finally wear my hair up however I like!

Before you make any further assumptions, I am still living at home. I commute twice a week (two train journeys).

Long story short, I decided I wanted to stay at home and commute instead of staying away from home (I will explain that in more detail another day).

Goldy x

No comments:

Post a Comment